Welcome to CAScommunity!

Already a member?

More Info Refer a Peer

Search
Quick Searching tips?

What percent of your current job pertains to content addressed storage?

It is not currently part of my job.
0-25% of my job pertains to CAS.
26%-50% of my job pertains to CAS.
More than 50% of my job pertains to CAS.

Results
Polls

More Info Refer a Peer

FOUNDING SPONSORS:

SILVER
SPONSOR:

CONTRIBUTING PARTNERS:

AIIM, Bitpipe, Bloor Research, Cohasset Associates Inc., Jobstor, Mass Storage News, Network World, Osterman Research, SNIA - Data Management Forum

CAScommunity :: View topic - Article on CAS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Article on CAS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Numark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Article on CAS Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Found this article on CAS titled: Tech Report: Content-addressed storage preferred for fixed-content storage
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1194867,00.html

The author paints a rather bright picture: "In the future, it's likely CAS products will emerge as the preferred means of managing structured and unstructured retention data."

What do you think?
wegrzyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Report by Wendt Reply with quote

I think he is right on the money, in more ways than one.

First, I think the boxes are too fixed function. Secondly, I believe the pricing is almost predatory - come on $350,000 for 50 TB. Third, I think the there is too little experience in knowning how to manage petabytes worth of data.
ericgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: CAS is on the rise - but education will get it there fastest Reply with quote

I agree with the article, but what I learned from the recent CAS Community Survey is that still not enough people understand what CAS is or how to implement it which in my opinion continues to be the barrier to adoption.

I think the survey, and other data relating to issues near and dear to IT manager and execs hearts like Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of using CAS compared to what many are doing, which is using already installed storage technologies like SAN or NAS or whatever.

The more we talk about the issues....ie. various compliance regulations are continuing to lead to a rapid increase in the amount of fixed data retention needed among enterprises and agencies - and tie that to TCO (ie - costs are skyrocketing because your IT department is using expensive storage devices space to keep up with these increases) - the quicker we will see true adoption.

I think the more practitioners, vendors and channel partners who are out there using and selling this technology understand all of this, the more it will benefit the larger IT and enterprise community.
Bob_C

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. We need to talk about CAS more and try to establish exactly what it is and what the value is in the minds of business decisionmakers.

I found this article which in mind hit the CAS problem right on.

http://www.esj.com/storage/article.aspx?EditorialsID=2125&pg=1

The main idea is:
"Like other industry jargon, such as continuous data protection (CDP) or information lifecycle management (ILM) or wide area file services (WAFS), to cite just a few examples, an otherwise simple–to-understand idea has become cluttered with many interpretations."

Isn't that the truth? I don't think that the vendors themselves are sure what CAS is. How can you expect businesses to figure it out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAScommunity Forum Index -> General CAS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: